Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Don't worry I'm not dead

So on Thursday I attempted to post a heads up to let everyone know that I'd be going on a four day mountain trek in the Simien Mountains far away from computers and my contact with the outside world. However when I attempted to post this my connection continually timed out. This was unusual, but hadn't happened before. I was certain my parents would worry about my lack of internet activity, which is how they make sure I'm alive. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to wait out the problem (which is how most internet problems are fixed here), so I went home to pack.

I just got back to find the same problem and an inability to login to my blogger account through proxy services like The Cloak or Proxify. I couldn't get through to the nearby Kenyan anonymous proxy service either. The Ethiopian government had finally cracked down on blogging and shut everyone in Ethiopia effectively out of the service. Facing defeat I was about to give up the blogging when the excellent Michelle Mayne offered to post for me in exchange for the illicit thrills annoying a government would offer. There is a brief and vague story in which the Ethiopian government lies profusely about their censorship here. If you are interested in knowing more I will attempt post more on it as I learn it. Until next time give thanks to Michelle and wait for an exciting account of the Simien Mountains.

Oh also I keep meaning to start a fund drive for VSO before I go. I really do believe that VSO is one of the better and more effective volunteer organizations operating in Ethiopia and a lot of the work they do is because of donors. So if you have some money floating around (tax receipts available upon request) please click that link up on the left hand side of the page that is for VSO Canada and at the bottom of the page there's an online form you can fill out to donate.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Jordie
Welcome back from your trek to the mountains.
I look forward to your next blog.

Anonymous said...

Illicit thrills! Eff the po'lice!

I took the journalism test this morning.

They said they'll let everyone know in two weeks.