Sunday, February 25, 2007

Thoughts on arriving in Gondor

Before I start I would like to clarify that yes I can read your comments. As to Jessica's statement that Lucy is in London I have not the slightest clue which of the two museums hold the "real" Lucy, but I definitely saw a skeleton claiming to be the "real" one. Also my analysis of Ethiopia's thriving hotel trade will be replaced by thoughts on Gondor until a later date when I can't think of something better to write about.

So I made it to Gondor and I am once again living in a hotel... woooo... [/sarcasm]. Gondor is a very different city from Addis. For one it's not much of a city being more of a thriving mountain town. Secondly, the people here seem really really excited to meet foreigner's. A trip into town will gain you a flock of incredibly cute street children who will follow you around the entire time, shouting things in English at you, eagerly introducing themselves, attempting to sell you tissues, and asking you a lot of questions about yourself, pretty much any question they can remember from whatever English classes they've taken. My favourites are Solomon and Betty, which are rather unlikely to be their Ethiopian names.

Aside from the children the locals seem to gain a bit of prestige by hanging out with a foreigner although some of them seem more interested in attempting to get you to buy them a beer. Any walk out of the hotel will almost certainly guarantee someone shouting either "Hello" or "You! You! You!" in order to get your attention smile and then move on delighted at some attention. My favourite instance of this being when I was walking and the following conversation happened:

Him: Hello! Hello!
Me: Hello!
Him: How are you?
Me: Good.
Him: I love you!
*blows me a kiss*

I blew him one back as seemed polite in the situation.

Jordie out

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sounds like you are having an extraordinary experience. Kudos on the regular postings; I've been enjoying them.

Jackie said...

Dear Jordie,

That conversation made my day.